Aug 9, 2018
· A suicide attempt is made about once every 40 seconds , and a suicide is completed once every 15 minutes . That breaks down to about 2,160 attempts, 96 completions, and 23 attempts per completion in a single day.
· Each suicide intimately affects at least 6 people .
· Suicide was the tenth leading cause of death in 2011 .
· The rate of suicide has been steadily increasing since 2000 , and is at its highest rate since 1991 .
· Suicide is the third leading cause of death in the 15-24 age range; the second in the 25-34 range; the fourth in the 35-54 range; and the eighth in the 55-64 range .
· Suicide rates are highest for females aged 45-54 and males aged 75 and older .
· Men are 4 times more likely to die by suicide than women, but women attempt suicide 3 times more often than men .
· Native Americans are most likely to die by suicide, followed by Caucasians .
· 90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death, most commonly depression (or bipolar disorder), alcoholism, or both .
· More Americans suffer from depression than coronary heart disease (7 million), cancer (6 million) and AIDS (200,000) combined .